Dear Partner in Health Literacy:
So far 2013 has been A GREAT YEAR! for health literacy in Arkansas. See a printable version of this announcement. Also, I am so happy to introduce the Partnership’s new logo!
In particular, I would like to draw your attention to our New Meeting Format. Here is a summary of the changes:
- There will be a single monthly PHLA meeting on the third Friday of each month at the Arkansas Department of Health, Room 2508 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. Video-teleconferencing will be available.
- There will no longer be separate ongoing workgroups. Rather, all are invited to participate in the larger monthly meeting. We hope this will create synergy and help prevent burn-out.
- New workgroups will be formed from time to time to accomplish specific, time-limited projects with defined end-points.
- The focus of the monthly meetings will rotate. A calendar of meetings will be maintained on the PHLA website, which is www.phla.net. The 2014 meeting calendar will be available soon.
- The new format will become effective at the next meeting on November 15. An agenda for the meeting will be posted on the PHLA website on Tuesday, November 12. Please contact Meg Arey at [email protected], if you would like to attend by video-teleconferencing.
We hope your schedule will allow you to become an active participant in these meetings.
There are two upcoming events that may of interest to you.
- Health Literacy Research Grand Rounds will be presented by the UAMS Translational Research Institute on Thursday, November 14, from noon to 1:00 p.m. in Room 8240 at the UAMS the College of Public Health. Video-teleconferencing will be available. The presenter will be Michael Wolf, PhD, MPH, Professor, Medicine and Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Chicago. See the flyer for more information.
- PHLA’s 2014 Mid-Winter Conference will take place on Thursday, January 23 at the Arkansas Department of Health’s auditorium from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The theme will be Health Literacy for Older Adults. Video-teleconferencing will be available. See the save-the-date flyer.
The Fall 2103 Update and more information about these events will be posted on the PHLA website. Please feel free to share this information with anyone who may be interested.
In closing, let me take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the work that you and your organization are doing to address health literacy in our state. We will all benefit from your efforts, so THANK YOU! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
Jennifer Dillaha, MD
Chair, Steering Committee
Partnership for Health Literacy in Arkansas